Sunday, May 16, 2010

Misadventures in Clearance Booze

I was not starved for choice from the clearance endcap this time around. I apologize in advance for the picture quality; the internet barely seems to know this stuff exists, so I had to take my own picture.


I've never seen or heard of cactus-flavored vodka before, so I had zero idea of what to expect from Sahuaro. The smell reminds me of melon, and I swear I catch a whiff of something vaguely pear-like as well. The alcohol hits the nostrils pretty hard, implying it is not the smoothest of vodkas.

Sahuaro tastes like melon, but the flavor seems subdued. It reminds me of hitting the rind while eating an actual melon; you still get some of the flavor, but without the sweetness of the sugar in the melon flesh proper. I approve of that aspect, actually. Feels crisp and refreshing. The alcohol hits the tongue and throat hard though. I've had plenty of harsher vodkas, but Sahuaro will never win any awards for smoothness. I tried chilling it to see if that dulled the alcoholic hit, but chilling somehow made it more harsh. I didn't think that was possible.

Mixing is where Sahuaro shines. It works exceptionally well with most substances containing any form of citrus. Mountain Dew Distortion (which I have gushed about before) works best out of the mixers I had access too at the time.

I could see myself buying Sahuaro occasionally, if I ever find it again. Not great, but far from awful. Hits the spot when I want something melon-flavored without the over-the-top sugar of a liqueur.

No comments:

Post a Comment