Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Great innovations in food

Frozen fruits and vegetables - Cheap, useful, and you don't have to worry about them going bad on you. That last one is especially important for a single individual such as myself. They can even taste better than fresh, since the fruits and vegetables are frozen right at their peak. In some cases, the freezing process does change the texture in unpleasant ways; I've had frozen bell peppers become a sad pile of multi-colored mush once thawed. You just have to try different brands until you hit one that gets it right. The big boys have it down at this point though, and even most store brands manage to get it right.


George Foreman Grill - Whether the design originated with the Foreman or was merely popularized by it, I can't imagine life without one anymore. Anything I'd want to do with an actual grill, I can pull off with the Foreman, and, much like a good skillet or griddle, the food made with this device only gets better as the grilling plates become seasoned by use.


Slow cooker/crockpot - With 10-15 of prep before work, I can have tasty food ready to eat by the time I get home. And once I came into possession of a decent crockpot cookbook, the potential versatility of the slow cooker surprised me. A lot more can be made with one of these babies than most people realize. My eating habits would probably be even worse than they currently are if not for my slow cooker.


Upside down condiment bottles - Jim Gaffigan was right; it really is embarrassing how long it took humanity to create the upside down bottle. I appreciate no longer needing to smack the bottom of a bottle for half an hour to get a little bit of mustard out. Or too damn much when the process inevitably goes wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment