Sunday, May 2, 2010

Misadventures in Clearance Booze

I like trying new things, even when it seems like a bad idea. And I've developed an unfortunate fascination with the clearance end-cap at one of the nearby liquor stores. Once in a great while, I discover something good on that end-cap. This was not one of those times.


You're not imagining it; Tabasco Spicy Tequila is real. And disturbing. The smell reminds me of gasoline, and the taste more or less matches the aroma. When the fuel flavor fades, you're left with a feeling of heat on the tongue. Along with a new feeling of shame in the mind, because you were foolish enough to try Tabasco branded tequila.

Now I'm the kind of person who prefers to not throw away that which cost me money, no matter how awful. With that in mind, I tried it in several mixed drinks. Most mixers fail miserably when it comes to making this tequila palatable. Spicy Bloody Mary mix makes it drinkable, however. The double hit of heat masks the hideously cheap-tasting tequila, but the resulting Bloody Maria basically tastes like spicy tomato juice and nothing more.

In short, this is a bad product, and Tabasco should feel bad for creating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment