Sunday, July 4, 2010

Crockpot chicken chili

You may notice that a fair number of my recipes involve the slow cooker. Honestly, if it weren't for my slow cooker, I'd probably never cook. Cooking for a group is an enjoyable activity, but cooking for one person feels more like a tedious chore. With a slow cooker, I simply dump a bunch of ingredients in the pot before work, and it morphs into delicious food by the time I get home. Some slow cooker recipes are more involved than that, but I don't use such recipes very often.

Ingredients:
3 15 oz. cans cannellini beans
3 chicken breasts
2 onions
3 red bell peppers
3 cloves garlic
1 4 oz. can diced green chiles
4 cups chicken broth
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano

Tools:
1 slow cooker
1 knife

Chop up the chicken breasts; doing so is significantly easier if you partially freeze the chicken (or only partially thaw if using frozen chicken breasts). Drain the liquid from the cans of beans. Seed and chop the bell peppers, chop the onions, and mince the garlic. Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker, and set to cook on low for at least 8 hours. Done.

The recipe mine evolved from calls for salt, but I find additional salt to be completely unnecessary. The chicken broth supplies more than enough, unless you use low sodium broth. And the one time I did use low sodium broth, I found I didn't particularly miss the presence of the salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment