Friday, July 9, 2010

A decent option when time is short

I've always liked QuikTrip's coffee and cold drink options, but their food is surprisingly not bad in a pinch. Tasty, cheap, and not any worse for you than comparable fast food.

First, the hot food. The hot dogs aren't particularly impressive. The over-sized taquitos hit the spot every once in a while, especially the chicken taquitos. The breakfast items are acceptable. The biscuits tend to be a little too hard and dry for my tastes, but I love the hot ham and cheddar on pretzel bread as well as both kinds of breakfast burrito. Grabbing a chorizo breakfast burrito after refilling my gas tank has become an almost weekly thing for me.

The fare from QT Kitchens has genuinely surprised me in a couple of ways. The salads are great; not quite as fresh or crisp as salads from a grocery store deli, but significantly better than any fast food salad I've tried. Same for the fruit cups. They tend to use too much mayo/sauce on their sandwiches and wraps, unfortunately. Everything else seems to more or less match the quality of the salads and fruit, but I cannot get past all that sauce drowning my taste buds. Most fast food joints seems to understand less is more when it comes that stuff. Hopefully QT Kitchens will grasp it someday.

So, yeah, trying to get back on the two-posts-a-week wagon. I don't foresee anything getting in the way. In the near future, at least. My plate may get a little full come late August/early September.

No comments:

Post a Comment