Sunday, July 11, 2010

The perfect condiment

I'm of course talking about hummus. Never really tried it until roughly two years ago, but now I eat it on everything calling for any kind of dressing or sauce. I even use hummus in place of mayo on sandwiches. It is normally used as a dip, but hummus can be more versatile than that. Nutritionally, it's pretty awesome. Vitamins, protein, and what fat it does contain is mostly unsaturated. Overall calorie count is low compared to most other dip options.


At some later date, I'm sure I'll have a recipe for you. As it stands now, my current blender isn't very good for making hummus; the texture usually comes out wrong. Sabra, if you have access to it, is the ultimate store-bought hummus. The texture is smooth without being excessively creamy, and the flavor is closer to homemade than any other brand I've tried. Better than homemade, compared to my own feeble attempts. I'm particularly fond of the roasted red pepper, supremely spicy, and roasted garlic versions. The only variant I don't particularly care for is spinach and artichoke. The day I tried it was the day I discovered I do not care for artichoke. Not one bit. Sabra also gets points for having fewer preservative ingredients than other big brands. I've also had good luck with some store brands, although Target's Archer Farms brand is the only one that leaps to mind at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment