Monday, July 26, 2010

Misadventures in Clearance Booze

A day late, I know. I was busy visiting the parents and helping them out with a few things.

Anyway, today's clearance acquisition is Johnny Love Aloha. Nearly the entire Johnny Love line of flavored vodkas was on the clearance endcap, so you may get to hear about another flavor at some point, but I digress. Aloha is a pineapple-flavored vodka, although calling it pineapple-flavored or even a vodka is a bit of a stretch. More on that later.


Johnny Love Aloha isn't entirely clear; the liquid has a slight yellowish tint to it. The scent actually favors coconut with just a hint of pineapple, and the label does mention coconut being in the mix. The taste, much like the scent, is more coconut than pineapple. I barely noticed the pineapple at all, really. The liquid goes down smooth without so much as a hint of harshness, but it has a kind of thick, syrupy viscosity I associate more with cordials/liqueurs than vodka. Hell, this stuff is so sweet it puts some of my favorite schnapps to shame. It overpowers the coconut and pineapple entirely unless you're drinking at room temperature.

The most I'll say for Johnny Love Aloha is that it is drinkable. It tastes like an overly-sweetened coconut rum, and I fear drinking too much of it at once could mean instant diabetes. I normally like the sweet things a great deal, but Johnny Love Aloha is too much for my sugar-loving taste buds.

No comments:

Post a Comment