Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Live it, love it, Lose It!

Lose It! is, in my opinion, one of the finest free apps available for the iPhone/iPod Touch. It has been beyond helpful in my quest to lose weight, thanks to the simplicity of the interface and big database of food items.


At its heart, Lose It! is a calorie tracker. From a few pieces of information (age, weight, activity level, goals, etc.), it estimates the maximum number of calories you can eat in a day. After that, you simply punch in anything you eat along with portion sizes, and Lose It! does all the number crunching for you. If you ever eat something not in the database, Lose It! makes it easy to enter custom foods or create recipes from existing items. It also generates a 'My Foods' list, making it easier to find items you eat regularly. Lose It! can also be used to track calories burned through various physical activities, but I generally don't use that feature. Given that all the numbers are estimations, I prefer not to let myself believe I can eat a little more just because I walked for a couple of hours. Purely a personal preference though.

Over time, Lose It! has made me more aware of the number of calories in most foods. I can even manage to not break my diet on days when I forget to carry my iPod Touch. I'm not saying I couldn't have lost all that weight (55 pounds and counting) without Lose It!, but I believe the process would have been much slower without the assistance. In short, if you want to track what you shove in your food hole and have an appropriate device, there is no reason not to grab this app.

No comments:

Post a Comment