Sunday, June 13, 2010

Save the Schwartzhog

Schwartzhog is a relatively new liqueur on the US scene, but I already think it is one of the best. I was saddened to discover that I'm one of the few people buying it at the one liquor store nearby that carries it. Although, I must admit I only bought it the first time because the store put the 750mL bottles on sale.



Doesn't take a genius to see how similar the packaging is to that of Jagermeister. Both are krauter (herbal/spiced) liqueurs, and the two are more or less the same shade of dark brown. The base flavors, however, are very different. While Jagermeister is anise/licorice-based, Schwartzhog tastes like cola. Specifically, Schwartzhog tastes a great deal like an herb-infused Red Bull Cola. I hate Red Bull the energy drink with every fiber of my being, but I consider Red Bull the cola to be one of the finest beverages on the planet. Naturally, I fell in love with Schwartzhog right away.

It tastes good at room temperature, but it tastes exceptional when chilled in the freezer. The taste is pleasing enough that I almost consider mixing with it to be a crime, but it does go well with most forms of carbonated beverage if you are so inclined. If cola is your bag, you'll probably like Schwartzhog. If not, I pity you.

1 comment:

  1. We keep a bottle in our freezer all the time! I understand from a retail friend that they have repositioned the brand to be a value everyday against Jager at $3-4 below all the time. Plus sometimes there is a $10 mail-in rebate! Definitely worth the $0.44 for the stamp.

    ReplyDelete